Thursday, July 11, 2013

Best Eating Disorder Blogs


I recently came across this article on Healthline.com about eating disorder blogs and I wanted to share.  I'm not really sure about some of the blogs on this list, they don't seem to be getting quite at the topic, and a few aren't actually blogs, just websites with resources- but I do really like a few of them.  The first one, Does Every Woman Have An Eating Disorder?, gets at the point that I have come more and more to believe.  I also recommend checking out this one and this one.

If you are worried about your relationship with food, weight, and body image, take this short test here.  

I see the influences of "eating-disorder-thinking" all over the place, especially now that I've been working at a treatment center for the past year.  One of my very least favorites was the Special-K campaign, "What Will You Gain When You Lose?" I can think of lots of things you will lose and very few that you will gain if you starve yourself, binge, purge, obsess...etc.  Thankfully, they seem to have a new campaign, Nourish, and while it still advertises the low calorie count, at least they are advocating eating RIGHT, not LESS.

I still can't wrap my head around calling a TV show "Extreme Weight Loss" even though I know the people on the show need to lose weight.  Couldn't they at least focus on health instead of on the number on the scale though?  I'm not sure what I'd rename it...any ideas?

I'm not immune at all to negative body image, fat talk, worrying about calories, size, numbers...etc.  I just think its important to realize when these thoughts start taking over your life.  I am well aware of the times it has gotten out of hand for me, and I work hard everyday to replace my thoughts and behaviors with ones that support health.  If you need help, there are plenty of options out there and I'd love to point you in the right direction.

1 comment:

© Love, K. Blair. Powered by