Friday, February 15, 2013

Lent

I have to admit that this time of year is not my favorite.  By February, I am usually dying for the snow to melt and for the spring flowers to bloom. However, I do usually enjoy the Lenten season.  I enjoy studying the Holy days leading up to Easter and have always observed lent by giving either something up or by adding something to my days.  In the past I have given up all the usual thing- desserts, meat, cheese, parts of technology, but recently I have tried to get more creative.  Last year I gave up taking elevators, which posed a challenge when I worked on the 8th floor of a hospital.  After some thought, I've decided to try out 2 new ways to observe lent this year:

1. I will be donating 1 item each day for the next 40 days.  This is not only good for those in need, but will be great for me while trying to get the house organized.  I've been overwhelmed recently with the amount of STUFF we have accumulated over the last few years.  I have a hard time getting rid of things, but I know I will feel great about it when it is said and done.

2.  No alcohol during the work week.  Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm knocking them back all week, but we like to enjoy wine with dinner a few times during the week.  I usually go to happy hour with friends a couple times a month too.  I know this will be a challenge, but a good and healthy one that can really only benefit me in the end.

In what ways do you observe lent?  I'd love to hear some more ideas!

1 comment:

  1. I love your idea of donating 1 item each day. Decluttering is the hardest thing, but it is also extremely rewarding. No happy hours would be tough :)

    ReplyDelete

© Love, K. Blair. Powered by